Tuesday 29 July 2014

Unpublished elective posts: My first solo ward round!

Unpublished elective posts part one

Foreword
A few years ago I published posts from my medical school elective in Tanzania whilst I was out there (see 2011 around september time in archives).  I used to write them in the evenings on my PDA and then publish them as and when I was able to get access to a computer.  As my elective was in a very rural village this was quite sporadic - the hospital did have one computer but being the only computer for a hospital of 120+ patients it was frequently in use and even when you could get access to it (usually late in the evenings if you could find the key to the computers room) the internet could be outpaced by carrier pigeons and power cuts were very frequent meaning I often lost blog posts and emails halfway through trying to send.

The upshot of this is that there are several partial or fully written blog posts lurking on my computer that I never published.  Its difficult now to publish the partially written ones as the me that would complete them now already feels like a remarkably different person to the wide-eyed enthusiastic fourth year medical student who was getting frustrated by the level of care given at the hospital and the memories of that frustration have already begun to fade.   But, I will try and slowly publish these posts and stay as true to the thoughts I had at that time because my elective remains my most enlightening medical experience and so the most worth blogging about in my opinion.   I will say with each post whether it has been partially written in recent times so you can decide for yourselves how accurate to my experiences at that time the blogs are.  I won't delete bits of the blogs however much they make me cringe now!

My first solo ward round! (minor additions to first paragraph only)
5.10.11
Accidentally ended up finshing up a male ward round by myself today because the clinical officer had to go to opd and asked me to see the last few patients.   Pretty strange having two nursing students plus 1 qualified nurse following me and pushing the notes trolley; I am used to being the ward round follower or notes trolley pusher!  This entourage was definitely useful though in terms of taking a history when I do not speak swahili! This translation service wasn't completely useful however as clearly there are boundaries out here that we wouldn't feel were appropriate within a medical setting in England.  For example the nursing students refused to translate "When were your bowels last open" and giggled at the very suggestion.  Unfortunately this question wasn't really something I could charades-style act out...

In total it was only a few patients that I had to see on my own, but think I did manage them correctly and even noticed that a patient who appears to have had a stroke secondary to hypertension has not actually received his prescribed antihypertensives for the last 3 days, something which has not been noticed in the last 3 ward rounds! So feel pretty proud of myself really, maybe I will make a doctor yet!

Rest of day was pretty full of responsibility as well.  In maternity ward there was a patient in the labour room with poor progress of labour who was on an oxytocin drip which was supposed to be given at an increased speed every half an hour, however despite the fact that there was 3 midwives about plus an insane number of student nurses, every time I popped into the labour room from ward rounds the increase in speed would be massively overdue and still not done! So had to do it myself as well as go on two ward rounds - multitasking skills!


While I waited for the doctor to come and review this patient after the oxytocin had failed to increase the strength of her contractions, I watched the nursing students being taught how to perform a vaginal examination of a pregnant woman.  Craziest teaching of a pv exam that I have ever seen!About 20 students all round one patients bed whilst the teacher performed an examination this intimate examination on her! Poor patient! Talk about intimidating! Also some of the smaller girls standing at the back clearly couldn't see so I'm not sure how much they learnt from the experience. Very, very different to how this is taught in England!

The examination - there are two pregnant ladies within this corner - the one that is being examined and one nearer the camera that students are leaning over in order to see the examination

Halfadoc x

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I am speechless. Poor patient. I can't imagine the terror of being suddenly in charge. Well done indeed.
    I also think my clinical elective was the most enlightening and empowering experience in med school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, It really is incredibly fantastic and informative website. Hold writing the terrific execute, Good to discover your site
    Doctors Larnaca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your website is so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility, ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffrin from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete

  6. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete